- 218 MLD Bulk water supply for Municipal Corporation of Mira-Bhayander
- 185 MLD Bulk water supply for Municipal Corporation of Vasai-Virar City including 27 villages within Vasai Virar sub-region and rental housing projects of MMRDA
Surya Regional Water Supply scheme witnessed a breakthrough of a tunnel boring machine (TBM) at Medhwankhind water tunnel with an internal diameter 2.85m yesterday. The TBM named “Vighnaharta” has successfully covered the length of 1.7 km. MMRDA Metropolitan Commissioner, Shri SVR Srinivas, was present to inspect and review the milestone event along with other key members of the project.
“We are glad to achieve this milestone, and we’re looking forward to completing this project at the earliest which will provide a permanent solution for clean and proper water supply to the western sub-region of MMR. I would like to congratulate the team for overcoming several complexities while digging this tunnel”, said Shri. S.V.R. Srinivas, IAS, Metropolitan Commissioner, MMRDA
With this milestone, MMRDA has fast-tracked the 403 MLD SURYA REGIONAL WATER SUPPLY SCHEME, aimed at bringing a permanent end to the water woes of Mira-Bhayandar and Vasai-Virar. It would benefit the Vasai –Virar City Municipal Corporation (VVCMC) with a water supply of 185 MLD and the Mira-Bhayander Municipal Corporation (MBMC) with a water supply of 218 MLD.
The project has been granted administrative approval in the Authority meeting of Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority on 19/10/2016. Under the scheme, the Rawwater will be lifted from Kawdas pickup weir located at the downstream of Surya dam and will be treated/purified in the Water Treatment Plant at Suryanagar. The purified water will be supplied through underground pipeline by gravity to Master Balancing Reservoir located at KashidKopar Hill for Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation and to Master Balancing Reservoir on the hill of Chene Village at Ghodbunder road for Mira Bhayander Municipal Corporation.
The project is expected to be completed in phases i.e. October 2022, for Vasai Virar Municipal Corporation and by April 2023 for Mira Bhayander Municipal Corporation.
Project Key Components:-
- Intake Structure of capacity 432 MLD
- Water treatment plant of capacity 403 MLD
- Break Pressure Tank of capacity 1.035 ML
- Laying of Clear Water Gravity Main (Pipeline): 80.71 Km
- Tunnel at Mendhvankhind: 1.7 Kms
- Tunnel at Tungareshwar WLS: 4.40Kms
- Master Balancing Reservoir at Kashidkopar (VVCMC): 38 ML
- Master Balancing Reservoir at Chene (MBMC): 45 ML